Monday, October 3, 2011

New Shopaholic on the Block

When you are at that stage of life where you earn to spend, and happen to perceive everything around yourself rather plainly, (and perhaps if you are a woman), you don't realise how easily you can turn into a shopaholic. Let me explain. It is when you keep feeling that you do not have enough clothes to wear to work; feel the need to compensate for never having had enough 'party clothes' all your life; now have little of that I-love-this-tee-and-I-will-wear-it-till-the-day-it-tears feeling; or simply the fact that you have suddenly grown too fat to fit into most of your clothes, and are at a mall shopping every second weekend without that 'too much' thought in your head.

I realised the above a bit late. Actually I am still in denial. But why I am writing about it is because I am one of those who order a drink after the happy hours are over. And feel the urge to shop after all the sales are over. Maybe I am not a (god save me!) seasoned shopaholic yet.

So, this Sunday, I headed out yet again. That is the advantage of living with family - there is no concept of month end.


First stop – Marks & Spencer! I cannot begin to express how much people like me (read oversized) love this brand. Funnily, everyone from Sarojini Nagar in Delhi to Promod caters to the skinny, size 0-8 women, and nobody thinks about us size 14 women. For instance, Van Heusen has massive stores all over the city, but what they make in the name of large-sized clothes is a mess. This holds true (far more strongly) for United Colors of Benetton too. I know you could also say that I could just lose weight instead of cribbing about these brands, but please note that I am not so much into fashion. I am only interested in shopping. *dies of guilt for that last consumed rasagulla*

But look at the bright side, I can guide you to all the right plus size places.

M&S! Their stores in Delhi now stock other labels too. The variety, the stores' whiteness, the space, the awesome quality, and the fairly friendly staff make for a rather nice M&S experience. I mean I even took their membership card. My first! It just gives me a stupid 1% discount, but I like carrying it in my wallet. There are few brands out there which deserve this kind of loyalty these days. Ok, I'm just getting carried away now.

The Membership Card! :D

I picked one shirt from there. Then I went to Mango. The other store that has clothes I like. I had looked at this comfortable top in perfect green with a hot, gold zipper at the back in their Saket store a few weeks back. These things are hard to take off your mind. So this time I just bought it! Can't wait to team it with beige pants!


Not me. :-/

Then I went to Promod. I had not planned to go there, but the orange in the display window pulled me in. Orange is so the colour of the season! I don't know about the fashion season, I am just talking about my personal happiness season. I love everything orange! Even this orange Mango skirt I got a few months ago. 


So, while the orange overcoat looked hot on the mannequin, I realised the wool wasn't of great quality.




Me in my Mango skirt! :D

The skirt I was tempted to buy!

And then I went to Zara. Now, I am not going to write anything controversial about it because far too many people like it. But I am yet to find a piece of clothing there that I can spend my money on. Dont worry, I do still have faith. I visit it every single time I go out shopping. And this time I spotted a hot, hot bag! And it was bloody affordable. If only they had it in a bigger size. After all these years of carrying big bags, I cannot get myself to carry a basic, mid-sized bag. I feel a strange disconnect. Tch. But you should totally go grab this one. I mean, how often do you see a good bag which is under 2K.

It was not as yellow as it seems like here. Far hotter!

With some more Indian formals and my StanChart phone alerts losing it, I realised that the card had had enough for an evening. But the mood after all of it was still in the dumps. Some things are above clothes, I guess. But it was certainly not money wasted. It totally made up for my crappy Monday AND Tuesday at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment